Search This Blog

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Will you be my Valentine Bunny?

I started this blog with an entry about a stuffed foodstuff known as the Turducken. I explained that even though it was October, I could just about handle the fact that in every mall it was already Christmas.

Forget that.

It is February, yes? So I am okay with the Valentine's Day displays in the shops (never minding that they were up since early January). It is a time when transactional love is not only legal in this country, but encouraged. What would you do for a chocolate-coated, marshmallow heart? Or should that be, what would you not do?

Perfect ValentineEaster garb

My problem, though, is that although the front of this particular store is all about V-Day, and though the red splatter of cards and candy looks like someone killed their fairy godmother in Woolies, something sinister lurks just inside the dairy aisle. The only rodent you wouldn't mind seeing in a food store. Of course, the Easter Bunny.

Lo, right there opposite the yoghurts, is an entire homage to chocolate eggs, chickens and bunnies. This in February. My mind is confused: which is more important? The two days compete in my brain for the title of What I Really Don't Care About Most. Who does their Easter shopping in February anyway? And if it's there just for impulse buying, who really craves chocolate specifically hollow and in egg-form?

They may as well create one huge event all-year round (and marketers could sell, sell, sell this to the hilt):

Happy NewYearValentineSt.Patricks'DayEasterSecretary'sDayWomen'sDayThanksgivingChristmasBoxingDay!


Now that's a display I'd like to see.

2 comments:

  1. Where can I get the bunny in the picture? If only Woolworths sold those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't mind if they sold those white sugar coated eggs all year round... and even the marshmallow ones... Chocolate is chocolate is chocolate, any month of the year!

    ReplyDelete